Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Favourite sci-fi tv show?  (Read 7001 times)
northernpatriot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

Glad to hear Firefly is good, a friend gave me the series and I haven't watched it yet.
segnosaur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »

Glad to hear Firefly is good, a friend gave me the series and I haven't watched it yet.
It was created by the same guy that directed The Avengers (as well as wrote/produced Cabin in the Woods). So, expect the same sort of action with a touch of humor.
Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »

Now I know that nobody has posted anything on this topic for like a year so I'm sure no one's gonna read this but... How is it possible that NOBODY has said the new Battlestar Galactica?!! Does a show have to be hokey and silly to be considered good sci-fi? Now I have watched a few episodes of firefly and some consider this to be Joss Whedon's most under rated work. But the new BSG was more realistic than most prime time network drama's that take place on Earth, while still maintaining a dark sci-fi atmosphere. Also, because nobody else has mentioned them, I'd like to mention the Jetson's. Though they where never as good as there unevolved cousins the Flintstone's, I always enjoyed watching the Jetson's growing up.
segnosaur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

Now I know that nobody has posted anything on this topic for like a year so I'm sure no one's gonna read this but... How is it possible that NOBODY has said the new Battlestar Galactica?!! Does a show have to be hokey and silly to be considered good sci-fi? Now I have watched a few episodes of firefly and some consider this to be Joss Whedon's most under rated work. But the new BSG was more realistic than most prime time network drama's that take place on Earth, while still maintaining a dark sci-fi atmosphere.
Actually I did mention the new Battlestar Galactica (At least briefly). I did enjoy it through most of its 4 seasons.

But... the series finale was, in my opinion, just horrible, and it destroyed any of the good will I happened to have towards the series. It was like eating a whole bowl of ice cream, and finding a dead rat in the bottom of the dish. It was like hours of sex with a beautiful woman, and then at the very end getting punched in the junk.

The problem is, the show creators wanted to make things interesting, so in the early seasons they decided to throw in random plot twists. Unfortunately, they didn't plan things out, so at the very end they had no idea how to resolve some of the outstanding plot threads.

And no, you don't have to have a series with 'silly' parts to make it enjoyable... but it can add entertainment. (And keep in mind that Firefly was not all jokes and silliness... It had multiple running sub plots, and a few genuinely dark ideas, like the "Hands of Blue" characters.)

northernpatriot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

It was created by the same guy that directed The Avengers (as well as wrote/produced Cabin in the Woods). So, expect the same sort of action with a touch of humor.

I never saw The Avengers but I loved Cabin In The Woods, best horror movie I've seen in forever!
Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:41 AM »

Lol! Ya that series finale left a bit to be desired, and my brother (who watched the entire firefly series) says that it gets better with each episode. If you have ever heard of Farscape the last season and a half was stellar! The only problem was the first two and a half seasons kinda stunk. It really suffered through cheesy "Alien of the week" bottled episodes, but getting near the end they were able to pull off some great long lasting and very well thought out story lines. If your a big sci-fi fan, it might be worth checking out.
Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »

Oh ya. Farscape (much like Firefly) was cancelled with story lines still running, but there is either a t.v. movie or a 2 episode season or something that wraps it all up.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: