Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Favourite sci-fi tv show?  (Read 11967 times)
Moonbase_Alpha
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Considering myself nerdly/nerdish/*In McBain's voice* nuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrd, I thought I'd toss this question out there: What's your favourite sci-fi tv show of all time and what is it about?

Space: 1999 - Its 1999. A nuclear-powered base on the Moon is blasted out of Earth's orbit by an accidental nuclear explosion (on the Moon). This "Moonbase" is launched out of our solar system and its crew try to find a way back to Earth or any other inhabitable planet throughout the series.
northernpatriot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

FUTURAMA!

About a dilevery crew's adventures in the year 3000. Great show.
Walleye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »

Quantum Leap
RotchyKongISW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »

....where did Moonbase go?

www.interspecieswrestling.com
"Pro wrestling is f***ed, and we're doing the f***ing."
DieHard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

....where did Moonbase go?

I been asking myself that since he disappeared...

Bitch be tripping balls.

The Wrestling Game
http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w=144793
The Phil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

All time favorite is Sliders, hands down.

RotchyKongISW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »

I really don't think I have one.  Like, I've been thinking hard - trying to come up with something to post here...and I can't think of a single science fiction show that I've watched or enjoyed.

Futurama? 

RotchyKongISW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »

Is "My Secret Identity" from the 80s - starring Jerry O'Connell - sci fi?

The Phil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

It's superhero-esque, so could be grouped in sci-fi.

segnosaur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Two great sci-fi TV shows, both are favorites, although the tone of each is different:

Firefly: Sort of a 'western in space'... humans have colonized another planetary system. However, there is a wild disparity between the technologically advanced 'central planets' and the outer colonies (that are often like the old west.) The show centered around the crew of a ship called Serenity (which looks like a 'firefly', hence the series name). The captain was Malcolm Reynolds. They make their living as smugglers (much like Han Solo.)

Very well written show, some long-running plot elements that were quite interesting, while avoiding the star trek "Alien of the Week/technobabble" pitfalls. Sadly the show only lasted 13 episodes. (Although they did do a followup movie which tied up a few of the series loose ends.)

Babylon 5: Follows the exploits of a space station (Babylon 5) which serves as a kind of United Nations between alien species.

The best part of this series is that the creators had a specific 5 year plan for the series, with long-running plots planned out in advance. So, unlike a series like Star Trek, where events in one show may not affect later shows, or Battlestar Galactica/Lost, where all the plot twists they threw in ended up resulting in a confusing mess by the end, this series ended up having most things resolved well by the end. Characters evolve, and events from one show flow into the next.

The effects may seem a little dated (although they have some great spaceship designs) and the first season might seem a little 'slow' as they gradually build up later plot lines. But if you should happen to watch the entire series through more than once, you'll be amazed at how little 'hints' dropped in the first season pay off big time in the 3rd/4th season.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: